Thursday, May 1, 2008

Do you really need a Mortgage Broker?

I'm quickly learning that this blog can be useful to answer so many "FAQs" in advance . Now, if only I could get my clients to read this before the questions were asked.



Last week I discussed selling on one's own as opposed to using a Real Estate broker. Similarly, questions arise regarding applying to a bank for a mortgage directly as opposed to using the services of a well known and well recommended registered Mortgage Broker.



While it is true that often the Mortgage Broker will place the loan with a high profile lender such as Citibank, Chase, Washington Mutual Wells Fargo or HSBC which lenders maintain offices capable of taking direct mortgage applications, there are tremendous benefits in approaching those same lenders through the Mortgage Broker.



First of all, the Mortgage Broker, unlike an employee of a Bank has an array of products and a further array of lenders so that the borrower and the specifics of the loan can be matched to the appropriate lender and mortgage product. The variety of choices can be staggering and a good Mortgage Broker can make the best match for a particular situation. Some of the common variables involve the differences between coops & condos, new or resales, 80% 85% or even 90% financing, credit score issues, co-signers, owner-occupancy issues etc.

Bank employees, even the best of them do not seem to be as "motivated" as Mortgage Brokers. Simply put, it is financially beneficial to the Mortgage Broker to satisfy the client who, it would be expected, could refer new clients down the road.

Having said all that, perhaps the most compelling reason to use a mortgage broker can be best explained by an experience...actually two.
Twice, in the last six weeks, I received the "dreaded" phone call the day before a closing that "unfortunately" the bank will not be able to close the loan tomorrow. Tomorrow!!! Clients are ready to close, moving trucks are loaded, everyone is ready....except the bank, with no acceptable reason, will not be able to close the mortgage.

Thankfully, both of these loans involved a Registered Mortgage Broker, Norman Calvo of Universal Mortgage

The moment I was informed of the problem, I notified Norman Calvo. In each instance, he stopped what he was doing and dedicated the entire balance of his day to "arm-twisting" at the banks (one was Chase, the other Citi) until the files were re-cleared and re-scheduled for closing as originally planned. Yes, they both closed!

Interestingly, the second of the loan problems was a relatively small mortgage but the effort expended by Norman would make one guess it involved a million dollar loan.

I will always believe that both of these closings would have been adjourned at great inconvenience were it not for the efforts of Norman.

19 comments:

Chris Swartout said...

Great idea Bob. I think you're a natural!

William Christian said...

Bob - From our experience together, I only know what choosing a bad lawyer vs. a good one can do to the process. You proved to be a savior in many cases where the seller's attorney floundered. Maybe five years down the line, I'll be using this info to sell my 400 sq ft slice of heaven you helped me purchase.

Travels4Food said...

I second Norman's recommendation - I've used him for at least 5 transactions, and he's amazingly knowledgeable, always upbeat, and straightforward about what he can and cannot do. Bob and Norman are my real estate Dream Team - I don't know what I'd ever have done without them!

brycecanyonhorseback said...

A mortgage broker is a well-trained professional representing those who seek home mortgages and provides them an ideal solution. By engaging a mortgage broker, the customer gets his value for money spent on the expert.

mortgage loan modification california

nutrendmedia said...

From the time I have started reading the articles you have been posting, I have become very keen in learning more and more. Now I can proudly say that I know little and that too thanks to you!!! mortgage broker melbourne

Unknown said...

There is a lot that a mortgage broker deals with every single day. More people need to be getting this kind of help when they are in need. It is something that will help people out.
http://www.mortgagedesigners.ca/index.php/about

Unknown said...

Thank you for the information on mortgage brokers. I didn't know what they were before I read this. I can definitely see how hiring a mortgage broker would be helpful. I especially like how they intermediate in loans. I might actually like to hire one soon because I am going to buy a new house soon.

http://www.karigares.com

livingarea said...

very nice information for the real estate...thank you for sharing the information.......


Pune Real Estate Brokers


jwaynebest said...

I'm thinking about buying my first home. Before reading your article I didn't know a lot about mortgage brokers. Now, however, I have a clearer understanding of what they do, and in what way they can help me. It seems to me that before buying my home, I will have to do some more research.
http://www.mclandressmortgage.com

Unknown said...

Happy New Year everyone! With a new year always comes the previous year's BC Assessment of value first time home buyer list of things to buy

Unknown said...

You are awesome.
mortgage broker toronto M.S.G.

Kate Brownell said...

Pretty much informative. Well I am thinking to break my existing mortgage to get lower rate and I really don’t understand the rates. As I live in Canada, I am thinking to call for a Cetrum Express processional like Rhonda Schmidt. Don’t know how good she is but some of my friend has recommended here and I think I need one independent mortgage advisor. Most importantly, your article helped me to understand few things. Good work.

Mann Mortgage said...

We offer various mortgage products at highly competitive rates to meet the financial needs of different types of borrowers. Let our mortgage brokers Reno NV find you the best mortgage to suits your needs.

Hamiltondentistry said...

amit khurana Oakville, Best mortgage agent in Brampton. CENTUM offer Mortgage agent in GTA , Mortgage agent in Brampton, Mortgage agent in Mississauga and Mortgage agent in Milton.

Sheran said...

I think it is very necessary to mange the mortgage by a reliable mortgage broker. In Canada, many mortgage brokers are available to help people to solve their problems as well as for second mortgage and refinance. I think Mortgage intelligence is one of the best Mortgage agents Oshawa.

JM Crafts said...

A mortgage is a loan secured by real estate or real property. There are so many ways to take a mortgage. If you want to take a mortgage then you should hire a mortgage broker. Because a mortgage broker will find the most potential lenders for you so that you can take the mortgage easily. Mortgage broker Whitby

worldw MOHAMED said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
First name......
Middle name.....
2) Gender:.........
3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
4) Loan Duration:.........
5) Country:.........
6) Home Address:.........
7) Mobile Number:.........
8) Email address..........
9) Monthly Income:.....................
10) Occupation:...........................
11)Which site did you here about us.....................
Thanks and Best Regards.
Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

ammy said...

I really like your post. Thanks for sharing such a informative blog. Keep posting and upgrading our knowledge.
Best Mortgage Broker In Oakville

Recamp said...


This blog provides useful Information. Thank you and Keep on Sharing.

Please visit Best Referral Partners for Insurance Agents